NOTICE: The Import function of Database Management is a powerful tool that modifies data in the current configuration. ALWAYS back up your data before executing a data Import.
The articles in this section of the Knowledge Base involve importing and exporting from the Database Management window. For general information regarding the Database Management tool, or how to access it, see Database Management Utilities (Overview)
This simplified article provides a brief tutorial for importing Materials using the Database Management Utility.
All records associated with the selected Material(s) are transferred by default. These records include Sheet Sizes and Categories. If hardware materials are transferred, any associated drawing files are collected and transferred.
Fig. 01 – Database Management Utility – Import Materials
- Select IMPORT from Selected Source to Current Configuration > browse to the file location containing the MicrovellumFactory.sdf to be imported > select the MicrovellumFactory.sdf.
- Select the Materials tab.
- The middle panel is populated with data from the database selected in Step 1. Select the Material(s) to be imported from this central panel.
When pulling from an archival database, chances are not everything in the external database needs to be imported. The middle panel in the image above allows you to select only the items you wish to import. The items specified appear in the panel on the right. Items can be selected from multiple categories at once.
- Select Transfer.
When importing from a database that includes data duplicated from the Factory Database, like an archival database, the Resolve Duplicate Names window appears.
Fig. 02 – Resolve Duplicate Names
There are three options to resolve duplicates:
- Skip – Does not change the existing item, and an additional item is not added. The item is ignored.
- Replace – Replaces the item in the target location that has the duplicate name.
- Keep Both – Appends to the target location. A new name must be given to the item.
Fig. 03 – New Name
When a new Material is imported, an import category is added that contains the Material(s). This appears in the tree-view:
Fig. 04 – Import Category