How to import and analyze 3D solids from Solidworks using Solid Model Analyzer (SMA)
Importing 3D Solids from Solidworks®
In this tutorial, you will learn how to import and analyze 3D solids from Solidworks using the Solid Model Analyzer features available in Toolbox.
- Create or open a Microvellum project and open a room.
- On the Quick Access Toolbar in the upper left corner of the CAD design screen, click the button with the Microvellum icon (File), Import/Other Formats.
Click the drop-down the list for Files of Type and select the file format of the file you are importing.
Since this section focuses on a Solidworks solid model, select and navigate to the Solidworks (.sldasm) file.
Once you have selected the SLDASM file, click Open.
- Solidworks solid models contain files of two types.
- SLDPRT = the solid model files for individual parts of the complete assembly.
- SLDASM = the solid model file for the complete assembly.
As Toolbox processes the import, it displays the following message box.
Fig. 02 – AutoCAD Processing Message Box
Click the Import Job Complete button in the lower right corner of the Toolbox UI to display the status of the import process.
Fig. 03 – Button to Display Import Progress
When the job is complete, click the link in the notification box that appears in the lower right corner of Toolbox UI. The model will then appear in the active drawing.
Fig. 04 – Message Containing Link to Import File into Current Drawing
Analyzing 3D Solids
- If the model is oriented incorrectly, and you want to see the model correctly oriented in model space:
- Enter 3DROTATE at the command prompt.
- Select a point on the model for the base point of the rotation.
- Click on the colored axis ring on the rotation icon that represents the direction you want the model to rotate.
- Enter the rotation angle in degrees, usually a value of 90.
Fig. 05 – Select Colored Ring to Specify Rotation Axis, and Enter Angle
Next, EXPLODE the model to convert the model to block references.
EXPLODE the model a second time to convert the block references to actual solids.
Your model is then ready to be analyzed using the Solid Model Analyzer (SMA).
Draw a selection window around all the solid parts to be included in the new product and wait for the processing to complete. This can take from a few seconds to a minute or two, depending on the complexity of the 3D model.
- Click the Solid Modeling tab in Toolbox.
- Click the Solid Model Analyzer.
Select a point for Toolbox to draw the newly created product.
- Select the desired material each time the program asks you. You will see the material thickness in the header area of the material selection box.
- Any parts that contain errors will be drawn in red. Usually, these are caused by a failure to completely explode the model to actual solids before solid analyzation, or by a solid model part size/material thickness conflict.
At this point, the product is ready for any additional engineering that might be required, saved to your product library for future use, or processed to create the manufacturing data.
Solid Model Analyzer - SMA (Overview)
Description Solid Model Analyzer is a powerful tool included in certain product levels of Microvellum. The design and manufacturing industry is steadily moving closer to the adoption of 3D design for its verification and visualization abilities. The ...
How to import and analyze 3D solids from Autodesk Inventor using Solid Model Analyzer (SMA)
Importing 3D Solids from Inventor® In this tutorial, you will learn how to import and analyze 3D solids from Autodesk Inventor using the Solid Model Analyzer features available in Toolbox. Create or open a Microvellum project and open a room. The ...
Solid Model Analyzer - SMA (Tutorial)
Description This document gives you a step-by-step tutorial on how to use the Solid Model Analyzer (SMA) to create a Microvellum product from a solid model. Before using this tutorial, you need to have a solid model in an AutoCAD DWG file. You may ...
Solid Model Analyzer - SMA (Reference)
This article is a reference article explaining how to work with various types of products in the Solid Model Analyzer, also known as SMA. It also explains the commands and properties that apply to SMA. See Using Solid Model Analyzer - SMA ...
Using Solids from 3rd Party Software with SMA (Overview)
Microvellum software contains the ability to consume 3D solids produced by other software applications, analyze them, and convert them to Microvellum products. This functionality is known as Solid Model Analyzer (SMA). The actual import function is ...
Microvellum Foundation Library Release Notes | Build 22.0520
The following release notes apply to Microvellum Foundation Library, Build 22.0520 Please make sure you are selecting the correct specification group when drawing products. There may be specification groups for both metric and imperial. Additions: ...
The Range Hood - Add-on
About the Library Add-on This is a “Master” Range Hood product capable of being used as is or saved back to the library numerous times in unlimited number of different combinations. This Library Add-on is compatible with the Foundation Library. This ...
Toolbox Release Notes | Build 22.1.0406.641
The following Release Notes apply to Toolbox Build 22.1.0406.641 Database Management Resolutions: Resolved an issue that caused template level projects to be deleted when deleting a seemingly “empty” category (this was caused by a mix-up in the ...
Microvellum Foundation Library Release Notes | Build 22.0407
The following release notes apply to Microvellum Foundation Library, Build 22.0407 Please make sure you are selecting the correct specification group when drawing products. There may be specification groups for both metric and imperial. Additions: ...
Toolbox Release Notes | Build 22.1.0325.641
The following Release Notes apply to Toolbox Build 22.1.0325.641 Toolfile Resolutions: Resolved an issue in certain post names where the pecking number was not working. Resolved an issue in certain post names where some face 6 machining was falling ...